Alana M. Hans-Cohen
Attorney, Capehart Scatchard; Chair, NYC Bar Association, Committee on Drugs and the Law; Trustee, Cannabis Advisory Group[
INCBA; Cannabis Law Digest
Attorney and self-proclaimed “cannabis nerd,” whose expertise can be found in cannabis law and policy, and how this new, highly regulated industry intersects business, real estate, government, and public policy. Social equity and Legacy Market advocate and activist, here to help the cannabis industry become less "Pale, Male, and Stale" and to help spark a conversation of change.
• From start-up to exit strategy, representing businesses and individuals at each level of the cannabis supply chain, including state-licensed adult-use cannabis, medical cannabis and hemp cultivators, manufacturers, distributors, and dispensaries, whether vertically integrated or operating as standalone businesses, as well as investors in those businesses.
• Advising a full range of vendors, plant-touching and ancillary, which supply their products and services to the cannabis industry, such as bio-mass, technology, advertising, social media, consumption products and security companies on the considerations pertinent to entering into the cannabis space.
• Assisting cannabis-related clients in understanding and assessing the federal and state regulatory framework for cannabis; applications for licenses to operate and related administrative matters; commercial litigation; negotiating and documenting investments, joint ventures, and mergers and acquisitions; conducting due diligence on the targets of such transactions; federal, state and local tax issues; day-to-day regulatory advice and general business counsel; and labor and employment, including workplace training and litigating workplace claims.
• Providing to public sector stakeholders involved in legislation, rule-making, regulation and municipal decision making relevant guidance from established cannabis-friendly states, cannabis industry operators, advocates, and thought leaders.
• Educating and providing actionable perspectives to government and private clients on the “how” of the development of legal access to cannabis at the state and local levels.
-Attorney, Capehart Scatchard
-Chair, New York City Bar Association, Committee on Drugs and the Law - AKA the Cannabis Law Committee
-Director, Cannabis Advisory Group